Music Video

Website

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Post 8: My Music Video

Research for my music video

In order to plan my music video, I first researched existing music videos in order to see the conventions and style of pop music videos. This helped me to come up with ideas for my music video as well as plan some intertextual links to include in my video.


One of the significant videos that I looked at to help with my ideas was Taylor Swift's 'You belong with me'. This music video helped me with the idea creation of my music video, I used a similar love story with the relationship triangle, but from a different perspective.

As for the key features of a pop music video, my research showed me that typical conventions include; fast paced cuts between both narrative and performance, representations of both setting and relatable characters for the audience to associate with. The videos must also have a clear choice in terms of how they want to relate lyrics and video. The two are either supporting each other or disjuncture, therefore either strengthening meanings presented or creating more.

As Vernallis theorised, the music video should have a clear sense of disjuncture, with the video cutting between narrative and performance in a way that is fragmented, offering multiple narratives and perspectives. One example of this is Khalid's 'Young Dumb and Broke' which uses both performance shots of him dancing towards the camera, as well as narrative from different perspectives of the students attending the school. Multiple narratives are therefore shown through the perspectives and the yearbook narrative, creating a disjunctured music video.




I planned out my character profiles with what stereotype they will play as well as outfits that will be needed. This allowed me to both be prepared for the shoot and also prepare a variety of representations for the target audience to associate with.
I included an intertextual link to 90s chick flick  movie 'Mean Girls'. My video will possess a  character that fits the stereotype of a cool mean girl that is presented in this movie. As well as showing a nerd that transforms into someone cool. While much of the audience won't directly relate to this stereotypical nerd character as the protagonist, they will still be able to relate to the concept of wanting to improve themselves. Therefore the transformation will allow me to create a relatable character. By planning these characters out in the character list I am able to get a clear understanding of both the number of actors and the outfits that I will need in order to film the narrative. By creating this list I am also able to inform the actors before the shoot of what kind of character they play, whether that is a 'cool mean girl' or a 'nerd'. Planning out the actors also allows me to make sure that I am able to represent a range of ethnicities who will be part of the target audience.







My timeline and storyboard allowed me to plan the story with a clear structure. This will make it easier when editing the shots as I already have a clear idea of the order and type of shots I want to include. By also planning certain types of shot movement; such as panning or match on action, I am able to create a narrative that is clear, flows and can easily be cut with the performance bed. For that performance bed, I will both have a professional studio shoot, as well as an off site shot at one of the locations of the narrative. This allows for variety in the video and allows me to cut between the narrative and performance bed for a fast paced, attention grabbing music video that will appeal to the target audience. I have also prepared a shootboard. This will help me with filming on the day and managing my time, as this records the order in which I should film the shots, not based on the shot number chronologically, but rather based on the location or angle of each shot.







My music video will also have an unconventional fourth wall break, where the audio cuts out and the 'mean girl' will speak directly to the camera. While this may not be a common feature of pop music videos, it offers something different and interesting for my video through the impact it adds to the narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment