Music Video

Website

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Post 7: My Pop Artist or Band


Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran?

When creating my artist I considered what modern style pop artists follow, both in terms of outfit and attitude. Therefore I researched existing outfits in pop music video as well as general artist style. One outfit I looked at Bruno Mars's 'Uptown Funk' outfit.

This outfit gave an interesting look of smart casual plus bling - which is the general look I went for when designing my performance outfit.

Bruno mars in general can be considered a fashion icon, with his own merchandise included, he wears a large assortment of brightly coloured clothes that are very stylish.



Bruno Mars is one style of pop artist; the clothes he wears are colourful and expensive and he likes to wear jewellery, all showing that he is successful, giving him a look of someone who is famous. Showing off wealth like this presents an artist that audiences will see as inspirational or idealistic, but lacks reliability.

Another style in pop is the casual look, many artists wear a normal style of clothes, that makes them similar to those who view them. One example being Ed Sheeran.

This more casual aspect to the look can appeal to the audience in a different way from the stylish, wealthy kind of look that Bruno coveys. Ed's look makes the audience more able to relate to him. This idea of reliability is a part of Ed's artist persona as a  whole, as he is someone who is known for his music talent and  humble origins.







I decided to try and combine  the two styles. My artist wears smart casual clothes but also likes to show off his wealth, but this is done more with jewellery rather than the actual clothes. This allowed me to create an artist that looks both relatable but also aspirational.


When researching the outfit, key images that I looked at were Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake and ASAP Rocky. Bruno Mars and ASAP Rocky are two artists that like to show off their wealth, and researching into the two of them helped me decide how to demonstrate this aspect of my artist. In the end I did this by looking at jewellery such as gold earrings. As for Justin Timberlake, he allowed me to see how artists can look stylish even with the casual look, and so I combined this knowledge with inspiration from Bruno's outfit to create mine.





This is the outfit that I chose. I used simple jeans, brown blazer and vans as clothes that are casual but also give a stylish look and added jewellery in order to add the bling factor to the outfit.








No comments:

Post a Comment